Hello & welcome to Emmanuel! We hope you had a great Christmas and the New Year is shaping up well for you. If you are visiting, please make yourself known to us – we’d love to get to know you better!
You’ve joined us in our first ever “Season of Rest”, which means we are learning how to:
A. Rest from the usual “work” of things to do with church – in particular:shorter Sunday services targeted at every age group no other formal church meetings
B. Reconnect with God – spending some of our extra time reflecting on our relationship with Jesus.
1. Try to set aside some more time than you usually do to hear from God.
2. Ask God to speak to you as you read from his Word (the Bible – we’ll be reading through Philippians).
3. Read the passage we’ve just had and the one that is up next.
4. Read them again!
5. Try listening to the previous week’s sermon (available on the church website or app)
6. Write down anything that comes to mind as you read/listen – thoughts, questions, ideas, pictures, songs, other scriptures, dreams, visions, words. Ask, “What is God trying to say to ME through this scripture?”
7. Pray for clarification.
8. Talk about what you’ve “heard” with:
a) A trusted friend
b) A Person of Peace
9. Pray as God leads you for:
a) change in your own life
b) other people whom God brings to your mind the year ahead for the church.
10. Write more stuff down so that you can remember what you were thinking about and bring it to church to discuss with others!
C. Reconnect with friends and family – taking time to catch up with people we often just don’t get around to because we’re too busy.
In this way we can honour Jesus’ call to “remain/abide/rest” with him and consequently to bear fruit that will last (John 15). Let me know how you get on – I love hearing how others hear from the Good Shepherd (John 10)!
Gods bless, Ian.