Jesus, the Light of the World, Is Born
On the night Jesus is born, light breaks through the darkness. It’s a dark time for Israel and a dark night in the shepherds’ fields, but angels light up the night sky and proclaim God’s glory and that Jesus is the light of the world.
“Glory to God in highest heaven, and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased” Luke 2:14
Lights On, Lights Off
- Gather your family to play a game.
- When the lights go off, people will act silly.
- When the lights come back on, they’ll try to freeze before they’re seen moving.
- Play several times.
- Talk about these questions:
- What are some things people try to get away with when no one else is looking?
- How is that like the way you acted in the dark?
- If you want to shine God’s light, how would you act?
When Darkness Reigns
- Wait to do this activity until it’s dark outside.
- Have each person choose a task from his or her chore or to-do list.
- Turn off all the lights, and have everyone try to accomplish their task.
- Turn the lights back on after a bit, and complete the tasks.
- Come back together and discuss these questions:
- What was it like to try to do your task in the dark?
- Why do you need the light to do certain things?
- Why do you need Jesus’ light to shine on you?
- What are some ways Jesus is like light?
- Share about ways you showed God’s light this week.
- God thinks we’re special! What are some things you think are special about each other?
Discuss and Watch
Today we’re going to watch a video about a guy who got confused about something that was said at church.
- In your group, tell about a time you got confused about something someone said—it can be something you heard at church or someplace else.
Watch “Karl, Light of the World.”
Karl was confused about what the pastor at his church said. He thought the pastor said that Karl should be the light of the world, and Karl thought that meant wearing a funny sunshine costume.
- What did Karl get wrong when he thought he was the light of the world?
- We know that Jesus is the light of the world, not us. But how can we show Jesus’ light in the world?
Jesus is the light of the world! We have the great opportunity to reflect the light and love of Jesus to others so they can experience that light and love, too.
Digging Into the Life of Jesus. Copyright © Group Publishing, Inc. Permission to reproduce granted for local church use.